Welcome to Mackay Rowing
The Mackay Rowing Club is a non-profit organisation with over 50 members that is affiliated with Queensland Rowing Limited. It caters for Adults and Secondary school students, with learn to row, recreational and competitive rowing options offered. The club is affiliated with several schools in the area and provides a school rowing program in conjunction with the club and a school coordinator. Our rowing calendar outlines the opportunities to compete in regattas, locally, regional Queensland, nationally and internationally. All are welcome to come along and join the club.
Annual Membership Fees
All new members who have never rowed before are welcome to come and try on two occasions before joining the club. Membership includes full use of all club equipment (access to boats: sculls, doubles, pairs, quads, fours and eights, blades, coaching and use of the rowing machines within the shed)
- Senior Rowers - $460.00 per annum
- Junior rower - $250.00 (under 18)
- Family rate - $690.00
- Casual row - $20.00 per row
A discounted rate is offered if fess are paid by the 28th February annually for existing club members. A pro rata rate is used to calculate fees for new members that join at varied times throughout the year.
Members of the Club are covered by insurance, through Rowing Queensland. A copy of the policy is available from the office or Rowing Queensland. Any Club member who is concerned about the nature of the policy cover should read the policy. You must be a financial Club member to be covered by Rowing Queensland insurance.
- Members competing in any regattas will be charged seat fees per race.
- All members competing competitively will need to purchase a zootie in club colours. A number of these are available to purchase directly from the club.
- In the event that the club participates in regattas away from Mackay. Additional costs will be incurred for transportation of boats to the regatta venue. These are calculated based on numbers attending
When can I row?
- All new members are encouraged to come along on Sunday mornings from 6am. They will be provided with a club orientation and mentored by existing members.
- Proficient rowers are able to acquire shed keys and row whenever they are able. There are a number of regular Seniors who row each morning from 5am onwards.
- Coaching is offered (free of charge) by several club members who have acquired Level 1 and 2 coaching certification.
- Our rowing course runs south from the Bridge at Balnagowan for 5km to the Weir. Members complete a variety of circuits based on fitness and time schedules.
- If you are interested in competitive rowing then check out the Rowing Calendar
- A number of informal training sessions are generated depending on the time of year and what regatta events are upcoming.